Monday, November 1, 2010

Day 4: Tuesday-Diversity in the South

So yesterday I finished my blog by saying that I would tell all of you about the cultural/ ethnic diversity that I see here in Jamestown. Compared to us Jamestown is definitely more diverse because they have a need for slaves here. The slaves came from Africa which makes it more diverse than  the north. From just walking around I can already see that the population of slaves here is nearly ½ of the total population. Cousin Brandon, here owns a slave who is here to help him out on the farm even though he is a somewhat small farmer he can still afford a slave to help him out. Also here there are races of people, who even some I can’t really tell the difference because it is so diverse. I only know very little about this, but many other countries are also competing for land in the New World, so they send people over here to live and as people live, they tend to move around which can cause people of different race to mix and create different ethnicities. For example the Scots-Irish were created in the New World. I believe that we are less culturally diverse because we came over as a family. This is because families usually stick together and because we are separatists we don’t like to mingle. I have seen so much around here and I really wish that you were here to see it all with me. I’ll be back soon!

Love,
Erica

No comments:

Post a Comment